'

Saturday, January 3, 2009

The POWWWAH LIST!

Looking back at the previous year, let me give you a rundown of the 5 most memorable anime titles for me.


5. Kara no Kyoukai
Although this series is not yet officially finished by any means, the stuff I saw in the first four movies cemented its spot in my favorites list. I couldn't ask for anything more in this series. Kara no Kyoukai has mind-blowing detail when it comes to animation and they did not cheat in the fight scenes. Every knifing Shiki performs is drawn in such detail you'll go WOW, especially when watched in an wide LCD screen in the dark.


4. Kure-nai
What can I say? Kure-nai was one of the series' that successfully conveyed the feel of companionship minus the melodrama. I mean, yeah, this guy's got friends, but instead of fawning over them like Clannad does, Kure-nai seemed to focus on the easygoing and humurous nature of friendship. Furthermore, Kure-nai had some female empowerment undertones, and basically the series is about a little girl's stubborn struggle against family tradition. That's a major plus for me.



3. Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na koto: Natsu no Sora
Accusations of plaigarism (look it up) aside, I liked this series when it ran. I used to call Sora a "hick" because of her innocent, rural ways. Although covertly praising the rural farmland lifestyle by comparing it favorably with the stressful city life, I kinda let it go, as I, as a city-boy know that city life IS stressful. But this is where I grew up so I don't have any idea about farms, nor do I want to have anything to do with it. Places aside, I didn't really agree with the altruist themes of the series, mainly helping others without compensation. So when Sora, the beloved Hick learned that she's gonna die from this disease, I was quite happy, unlike you suckas.



2. Muryou no Hako
Simply the best series 2008 year had to offer, (however I had to put this in second place because while technically finished, subs aren't done for all eps yet) Muryou no Hako combines the hard-boiled, no-nonsense attitude of a detective crime fiction story with the softer details of a girl-to-girl relationship. So far, so good. Technically, it's quite original as there is this occasional rainbow-like hue coming from the left-hand corner of the screen, which makes the frames look gentler and dreamier IMO. Another thing to be mentioned are the two girls' eyes which look quite haunting. However, this is not really my focus as I am engrossed with the story (above all else).... if only the fansubbers picked up the pace.


Two series' are Tied for #1

1a. XXXholic Kei
I love this shit. As if I am not sadistic enough to laugh when Watanuki is forced to do the most ridiculous of all things, only to get shrugged off by Domeki's wry wit and lulled by Himawari's naive encouragement. Well, the reasons why this series is very strong to me is first, it does not deal with morality in a black or white matter. Yes, there may be ghosts, and they are part of the problem, but they weren't entirely bad. Secondly, the series wouldn't be strong without the witch, Yuko, by far the most famous personality with a paradoxical concoction of childish immaturity and old-age wisdom... and she's Hawt :o Daym!


1b. Real Drive
Yep. Quite a predictable choice by me. Real drive was the complete package. It had depth and silliness and while staying committed to the main story, it never neglects the periphery. I wrote an entry about this so just read it. It will just be redundant if I still explain here.


Special Mention

Xam'd: the lost memories
More like Xamd: The Bio Machine as the "lost memories" arc lasted for a mere 3 episodes. Just watch it. I think this series is especially catered for a worldwide audience, so that's why I was able to easily understand it. The entire floating fortress thingy? It's a western fiction thing, isn't it? North and South, Korean peninsula comparisons, anyone? Most evident of all, english OP and ED... and playstation 3 release. Internationally intended, like Afro Samurai.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home